Tuesday, August 28, 2007

fairytales

found one of my old files... written last nov 2006... here's an abridged version of it.

I’ve always loved fairytales… As a child, I even asked Santa for a book filled with fairytales… and I got it :) The notion of a prince coming to a girl’s rescue or of love conquering all obstacles just appeal to me… Or maybe that should be “appealed”… Yes, I am past that disillusioned state. Somewhere along my teenage years, I’ve gone from the girl going giddy over a silly tale to the very cynical person I am now. I always loved love stories… I still do. But now, I finally understand that those things, the knight-rescues-damsel-in-distress stuff and those happily ever afters, they don’t really happen in real life… at least not to me… They make good plots for books, stories, movies, but not in my world, not in my life…

I’m no princess… I know that. I’ve long ago given up the idea that a Prince Charming will come my way and instead resigned myself to the fate of being alone. You can’t blame me. I have waited long enough. Sure, the other fairytale princesses didn’t get to meet their princes right from the start… but that’s just it. They ARE princesses. I simply am not. It’s harder to wait for something, to hope or dream for someone when you know for a fact that there’s a very big chance he won’t come… Sure, Rapunzel waited long enough for her hair to grow that long and Sleeping Beauty waited a hundred years. But Rapunzel was stuck in a tower. She didn’t have an inkling of what was happening in the outer world. She didn’t get tormented with seeing the man she’s pining for chase another girl nor did she had the chance to attend a party and feel totally left-out. She didn’t have friends who constantly remind her of her loneliness (they may not really mean it… they might not even be aware of it). And Sleeping Beauty? Well, she was SLEEPING through the years of waiting!!! And the moment she woke up, there he was… already waiting for her! How convenient is that?!? And what about me? My prince probably got stuck in a labyrinth… doomed never to find his way out. Or worse, he could have found some other princess while he was on his quest to find me and he decided to go and have his ‘happily-ever-after’ with her… But no matter what I say, it still boils down to the question: Have I really accepted a life alone? Or am I just saying it to try and convince myself? I don’t know… I won’t be waiting for my prince to come knocking on my door… but I’ll still keep my half of the glass slipper just in case he did get to my part of the town and still has his half waiting for mine…

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sleeping Beauty got stuck with the prince of Necrophilia -- so did Snow White. Cinderella's man certainly had foot fetish, while Rapunzel's was an incurable hair-junkie.

So much for princes, huh.

I guess not everyone who got their princes (or princesses -- Belle from Beauty and the Beast suspiciously suffered from yiff complex.) aren't so lucky at all. Maybe it boils down to riding down with no one but yourself and living happily ever after. Finding someone to give it to without fear of shaking that inner sense of satisfaction within you is now just a very welcome extra.

Just my thoughts, my mind's taking a break. Don't buy it. :)


-- alprz


PS. Yiff is explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom, section #4.

snow angel said...

amiel? ikaw yan? ehehhe... you're probably correct... i was about to write something about fairytales not really having a happy ending and was thinking of the same thoughts :D eheheh... yiff complex huh? yet another thing i haven't heard of... you haven't changed a bit! may reference pa o! ehehhehe :) musta na team? wag masyadong mang-api ha! eheheh..

Unknown said...

musta na team? ung biwa ngayon, may sumali na b2e folks, sina tj, hannah, jarell, saka mia, tpos si alwin sumali sa b2e.

saka di ako nang aapi...hahahaha wala ka na e! :)) joke lng

hahah seriously, ung mga sinulat ko sa taas, dati ko pa naiisip. kung hinde necrophiliac ung prince sa snow white, bakit nya hahalikan si snow white dba?? :)

curdledsauce said...

i watched elizabeth (starring cate blanchett) last night and it kinda validated my long-held opinion that a royalty's life isn't necessarily as fabulous as it seems to commoners. true, royal people are surrounded by hordes of sycophants and flocked with suitors but it seems that such kind of situation is more like pressure to them, really. ending up with a fellow royalty is apparently a response to obligation and duty rather than what their genuine feelings might be telling them (sometimes). so much for romance. hah, but what do i know? :)